Monday, October 19, 2009

Salmon with Sweet and Spicy Rub


I debated putting this one up here because the salmon looks so dark in the picture, but it was really delicious. It really has a zip to it. This recipe is from one of my favorite cookbooks Ellie Krieger: The Food You Crave. She shares my food philosophy that healthy food does not have to be bland and/or boring.

I divided the rub among 3 salmon filets with good results, so you could make anywhere from 3-6 with this recipe. I used an indoor grill pan. Be prepared for a little bit of smokiness and open a window or use your exhaust fan. It's worth it!

Salmon with Sweet and Spicy Rub

2 Tbl. packed light brown sugar
1 Tbl. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
Six 5-ounce salmon fillets
1 Tbl. olive oil

Coat your grill or a grill pan with cooking spray and preheat over medium heat. While the grill is heating, combine the brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Brush each salmon fillet with 1/2 tsp. of the oil, then rub each fillet with about 1/2 Tbl. of the spice mixture.

Grill the salmon, flesh side down, until charred, 4 to 5 minutes. Flip the salmon and cook another 5 to 6 minutes for medium doneness. For well-done fish, cook an additional 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a platter and serve immediately.

2 comments:

Zoy said...

I enjoy cooking and gardening too, can`t sew though. Your recipe looks delicious! You should try it with fresh herbs, I grow herbs in my kitchen all year around, so-o love them fresh! I am at http://mightyherbs.blogspot.com

Dyl said...

That cookbook is great! Lauren and I LOVE it!!! :) We made the Savory Chinese Chicken Salad the other day and it was sooooo good.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...