Monday, February 15, 2010

Bean with Bacon Soup


My husband absolutely loves Campbell's Bean with Bacon Soup. Yes, the old fashioned type that requires that you add a soup can of water. 


I like to encourage healthy eating and thought that this flavor of soup would lend itself to a nutritious remake. I looked up several recipes online and found the basic ingredients and preparation method. The problem was that most of the recipes used dried beans and I wanted to stick with the quick cooking method associated with canned soup. So, I used canned beans with very good results. 


Give this soup a try, I think you will be impressed.


Bean with Bacon Soup


2 Tbl. butter or canola or olive oil (I used butter)
2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
1/2 onion, finely chopped
6 strips of already cooked bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2 cups water
1 tsp. chicken bouillon powder
2 cans light colored beans, one drained and one undrained (see photo below for types of beans I used)
1/2 tsp. marjoram
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. garlic powder

Put butter or oil into a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add carrots and onions and stir and cook for about 10 minutes, until very tender. Add bacon to pan for the last 2 minutes of cooking time. Combine water and bouillon powder and add to pan. Stir in beans, marjoram, thyme, and garlic powder. Lower heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered until heated through and bubbly. Using a potato masher, mash through the soup a bit to thicken.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...