Monday, December 21, 2009

My Grandma's Banana Bread




At this time of year we'll take a break from healthy cooking, which for me means actually buying and using white flour and sugar. Yes, I only buy about one bag each per year and this year I actually shared the bags with my mother. And I do a lot of baking throughout the year, just not with white flour and sugar.

I actually prefer the taste of baked goods made with whole grain flour and other healthy ingredients, but in some cases I like to stick with the original recipe. And family holiday recipes fit this profile.

This Christmas has me craving nostalgic recipes. Thanks to my cousin Kathy for providing today's recipe:

Grandma's Banana Bread

2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup soft shortening
2 eggs
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp. white vinegar
1 cup mashed banana (about 2)
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. soda
1/2 tsp. salt

Mix together and set aside flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. Mix together and set aside milk and white vinegar.

Mix together sugar, soft shortening, and eggs. To the shortening mixture add the milk and vinegar. Then stir in the mashed banana. To this mixture add the dry ingredients. Pour into a well-greased 9x5x3: loaf pan.

Let stand for 20 minutes.

Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have never quite figured out the need for it to stand for 20 minutes, but mom always said that letting it stand made a better crown on the bread. And, of course, you always do what your mom says, so I let it stand for 20 minutes!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...